Thursday, May 8

Silver Apples

I was first introduced to Silver Apples nearly 10 years ago from a close friend. Clearly blown away just by it's unique sound and the fact that it came from 1968 NY, I began my hunt for this gem on vinyl. Shortly afterwards, I payed a visit to NY and was staying with another close friend who happened to have it on wax. Jealous, I asked "where would I find a copy in town?" I don't recall the name of the store off hand in Manhattan, but he brought me to it.

"I have so much credit at this store. I usually come in town(he lived in Jersey City)after I walk the dogs and just trade in/swap out LP's. You should find one there."

And yes, I did. An original copy in amazing shape, with the poster inside still......for $100.

One big frown on me!

Since then, I've seen it in random stores. Never in great shape, sadly.



Back to Silver Apples.

They "formed", rather turned into the Silver Apples after the demise/fall of The Overland Stage Electric Band. Simeon Coxe III essentially drowned out the rest of the group with his 1940's audio oscillator and they eventually left the group. This left Simeon only with drummer Danny Taylor and the Silver Apples took shape.

This is their debut record which was originally released on KAPP Records, which folded under MCA shortly after.

What really made the group unique was their equipment and what they used live. A quote from their Wiki page:

The arsenal of oscillators used eventually grew, according to their first LP liner notes, to include "nine audio oscillators piled on top of each other and eighty-six manual controls to control lead, rhythm and bass pulses with hands, feet and elbows". Simeon devised a system of telegraph keys and pedals to control tonality and chord changes, and reportedly never learned to play traditional piano-styled keyboards or synthesizers.

Give this record a try. Better yet, if you find a copy, but it!

Silver Apples Self Titled LP.



1. "Oscillations" (Danny Taylor, Stanley Warren) 2:48
2. "Seagreen Serenades" (Simeon, Warren) 2:55
3. "Lovefingers" (Simeon, Warren) 4:11
4. "Program" (Simeon, Warren) 4:07
5. "Velvet Cave" (Simeon, Warren) 3:30
6. "Whirly-Bird" (Simeon, Warren) 2:41
7. "Dust" (Simeon, Warren) 3:40
8. "Dancing Gods" (Navajo Indian Ceremonial) 5:57
9. "Misty Mountain" (Eileen Lewellen, Simeon) 3:26

No comments: